Why resistance train?
Resistance training makes your muscles fitter, stronger and more effective and it can be provided by weights, bands or just your body weight. Some people find the term ‘resistance training’ quite mystifying, even off-putting, but it is key to helping improve muscular fitness and is extremely important in everyday life, for lifting and carrying things and performing day-to-day tasks. Without doing some exercise like this it will be really hard for you to get a really lean, toned bod.
The benefits of resistance training include:
- Increases lean muscle, which requires more energy to maintain. It will increase your metabolism, meaning you are burning more calories, even when you are asleep (what could be easier?)
- Muscle burns fat
- Decreases your risk of developing osteoporosis by increasing bone density
- Makes you stronger
- Improves your balance, flexibility and core strength
- Improves your posture
- Makes you feel good and less stressed
- Improves your cardiovascular fitness, with all the associated benefits
- Shapes and sculpts your body – you’ll look more toned and feel great
- Increases strength, meaning you have less chance of getting injuries.
- If you are pregnant or a new mum and aren’t sure what to do in terms of working out with weights, you can find lots of simple safe exercises out there – squats, lunges, bicep curls, you know the sort of thing.
The 3-Plan has over 75 unique, effective exercises, split into sections to be safe for each stage of your pregnancy and post-natal recovery.